Saturday, July 2, 2016

Playing tourist with my sister

My older sister came for a visit.  We usually only get to see each other once a year.  We talk and text all the time so the distance doesn't seem that far.  She lives in Arkansas and I in Northern Virginia.  I am always so excited for her visits.  Before she came we talked about all the crafting we would accomplish.  We both have several unfinished projects.  The plan was to sight see one day and mostly craft and relax the rest of her stay. The problem with the plan is I live in the Washington D.C. area and there are too many interesting things to do.  We've been trying to go to places she hasn't visited on previous trips.  This time she wanted to see Mount Vernon.   It is such an lovely place.  The view from the house is stunning.  From the rear you see the Potomac River. The grounds and flower gardens are so peaceful.  My only complaint was the tour through the house was almost at a dead run. I know they have so many people to shuttle through the mansion but I enjoy looking at all the details of things.  The weather was perfect, very low humidity. We could not have asked for a better day.

A view from the front of the house


George and I


We were so inspired by our trip to Mount Vernon I suggested we visit Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.  We went from the American Revolution to the Civil War.  Gettysburg was very fascinating.  It is a massive sight. We bought an audio tour for the battlefield.  I highly recommend doing that.  You get a guide book with CD and drive the battlefield at your own pace.  It is very overwhelming.  It's hard to comprehend the battle that took place.  Of course I think I would feel the same at any battlefield I would visit.  And we did visit another battlefield.  We went to Antietam Battlefield in Maryland.  It is the sight of the bloodiest one day battle of the Civil War.  On our way home from Antietam we drove through Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.  John Brown, a white abolitionist, tried to initiate an armed slave revolt at Harpers Ferry.  After our trips to the battlefields my sister and I decided we needed to learn a bit more about the Civil War.  We are starting with the book "Gods and Generals" by Jeff Shaara.  We want to read "Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara and "Uncle Tom's Cabin" by Harriet Beecher Stowe.  There so many Civil War books we can read.  These are the ones we picked first. We also came away from the places we visited with guide books.  I wish you could order these books before you visit the sights.  They have a lot of interesting facts in them.

My sister -Sarah- in front of the Arkansas memorial at Gettysburg


Dan, Darren and I at Antietam

An observeration tower at Antietam.  

Looking up into the tower as we climbed the stairs.


We could have done something historical or museum related everyday.  We are already planning things for the next time she visits.  Even with all our day trips to historical sights we did manage to do a little crafting.  We both worked on these small hexie blocks.

Christmas in June! A project from Wild Olive blog.

Avi and Binxy using Sarah's hat as a bed.


This week has been back to real life.  There have been dentist and doctor appointments.  My husband had a trip to California.  I went to work for a few hours.  We've had not well kitties.  I am tired of the trips back and forth to the vet.  I know the cats are as well and so is my bank account.  It's hard when you can't pinpoint what is wrong other than they don't feel well.  They are finally on the mend.  It is nice to have our silly kitties back to normal.  

Thank you for stopping by for a visit.  Have a lovely weekend, Lisa




3 comments:

  1. Sounds like ya'll had an interesting time. I love visiting historical sites. You are fortunate to live in an area where you don't have to travel so far to experience so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many beautiful photos. The mid-Atlantic is a perfect place for anyone loving history. I know my son is probably working his way through all those places you went.

    Glad to hear the kitties are feeling better. It's hard when they can't TELL us what they feel.

    Have a happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've taken a fair number of historical vacations over the years (Revolutionary and Civil War sites being prominent), but I believe Gettysburg was our first (many years ago and before children), so it has a special place in my heart. It was at Gettysburg that history became something real to me (as opposed to a subject to simply be studied). A very sobering place. Beautiful, but sobering.

    I don't think I realized before now you live in DC. How wonderful to live in such a historically rich part of the country.

    ReplyDelete