Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Yarn Along - Knitting and a Christmas book

I'm joining in with Ginny and this weeks Yarn Along.

When my sister visited we went to a great little yarn store not far from my house.  It was amazing, so many beautiful yarns and a very helpful shop keeper.  I have been tying to learn to knit.  I know I could have picked yarn from my stash but I wanted something new and pretty.  I felt that if I worked with a nice skein it would keep me motivated through my mistakes.  I'm so pleased with this plan.  I have had to rip out my attempts six times!  I'm still not completely sure I'm doing it right but it looks better than the first ones.




I love this yarn and the color!
The yarn is Malabrigo color Pocion.  It is so luxurious!  The pattern I am trying is The Chickadee Cowl by Kirsten Kapur.  It is a free Ravelry download.  I knit a little every day.  If I knit for too long my mind wanders and I loose my place.  



Also during her visit we went to the public library's annual used book sale.  It is held in one of the local middle schools and lasts for three days.  They fill the school with used books.  Both gyms, the lunch room, and a few other rooms are used.  You never know what treasures will be there.  One of my favorite finds was an old Woman's Day Christmas book.  It was published in 1979.  On the cover it says it has Christmas facts, lore, songs, and reading.  There are gifts to make, menus, recipes, and a tree buying guide.  It also has imaginative ways to entertain family, friends, and children - that's their words, not mine.  I adore books like this.  It reminds me of the crafts and clever things my mom and grandma would make and do for us.







The Fourth of July was mild and rainy but the hot, steamy days of summer have returned.  It's nice to look at the Christmas book and dream wistfully of cooler days.


Thanks for stopping by for a visit.  Lisa


2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love looking through vintage craft books, too. A Christmas one seems especially nice now that we're steaming here in central Indiana. I'm thinking those are homemade window clings?!? Super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your knitting. It looks GREAT so far.

    I remember when Women's Day AND Family Circle had craft projects beginning around October. I wish they still did that.

    ReplyDelete