Thursday, January 19, 2017

Random stitching

The crafts I make usually follow the pattern, even my color choices are similar to the original.  There are always some errors, nothing I do is perfect.  I enjoy the process of creating and having a finished product. This past year I started to notice others engaging in slow stitching and stitch journals, both have intrigued me.




There is something to be said for not following a pattern, permission for randomness.  At the beginning of January I gathered floss, needle, an embroidery hoop, and linen.  The piece of linen is from a thrifted shirt my sister sent me.  The floss is a combination my own stash and bits of skeins I've collected from charity shops.  For this project there are no rules.  I will try new stitches and use ones I know by heart.  The colors will be ones I find pretty and some that are ugly.


This isn't a mindless project.  I have to tell myself that it doesn't have to be perfect.  Knots and messy backs are ok.  I'm not committing myself to stitching on it for an entire year.   Although I do try to work on it daily.  So often I get caught up in following the rules and how I perceive that things are suppose to be.  It's nice to have a project with no clear right or wrong and allows me to just stitch.

The guest room is looking less like a storage closet.  The things that remain are two boxes of books that will be taken to the library for their used book sale.  There is a box of empty bags.  Those bags will hopefully hold other items to go for donations at a later date.  My daughter has a pile of clothes on the bed.  She is listing them on an on-line consignment site.  I wish I had a never ending supply of  energy and motivation.  We'd have a clutter free home!



Thank you for stopping by for a visit.  Lisa


3 comments:

  1. I don't know. That room looks pretty clutter free to me. I think you are doing a GOOD job of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Lisa. Sometimes even random is hard for me. I do love the slow stitching I see others do. In fact, at that yarn shop by you, I bought a little kit for handstitching, but haven't opened it yet. Another friend here would like to do some embroidery this year, so perhaps we can motivate each other. I have so much decluttering to do but takes a whole lot to get me motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stitching project sounds very, very interesting. I love stitching too and with this you can try different embroidery stitches - there are hundreds in my embroidery encyclopedia! You can try a new one everyday and you'll have a stitching sampler/stitched artwork at the end of the year! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work. x

    ReplyDelete