Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Doing a little of everything but no granny square progress

The granny square blanket has come to a screeching halt.  I finally give myself permission to set it aside for a while.  I was making myself feel too guilty for not working on it.  The motivation isn't with me right now.  I will finish it but I needed a break.  So I moved on and finished a spring wreath.



I saw the wreath and link to the pattern on Stitch and Unwind.  The pattern is very easy and works up lovely.  I like how the flowers are large enough to be seen from the street.  I will definitely make these flowers again.  The only thing I'm not so pleased with is my placement of the flowers.  I wish I would have moved the two pink/purple pink away from each other.  I know, I'm never satisfied!

My other snafu was another of my own doing.  The flowers do need to be blocked.  I thought I would be so clever and press them.  I ended up with a purple pancake!



I quickly went back to flattening them with heavy books.  It worked much better for me.



I like the above photo because it includes Binxy.  She is always with me in my craft room.  She's my little crafty helper/comic relief.  It also has a better shot of my new ironing board cover.  The ironing board has been with me forever.  The cover that was on it was pitiful.  I kept thinking I would make my own but as I can't even finish the granny squares blanket it's probably better I bought one.  The work table isn't too messy.  There are still magazines waiting to be sorted.

Besides finishing the wreath, I've also been working on a very old quilt project.  It's from the blog Wild Olive.


All the many hexies flowers have embroidery centers.  I have finished all the embroidery and all the individual hexies.  Given how I bounce around in my crafts I will be making hexie flowers from now to possibly the end of time.

Other good things that have kept me occupied are watching sports, cleaning out clutter, and I've started crocheting a birthday present for my older sister.  The last two are rather typical for me.  The sports has my family baffled.  I have never been much of a sports person.  For some reason soccer and hockey have been very entertaining.  I used to watch the news.  Now I can barely stand it.  The local news is fine but the national is so YUCK!  I like listening to the weather.  I think I might be turning into my grandpa, sports and weather.  If I start watching professional wrestling we'll know I'm channeling his spirit.

This is the next pile of stuff to leave the house.   We all went through our closets and I cleared off my book shelves.  The crafting books stayed ;-)



 There will be more things added to the pile and more things listed on Craigslist.  I'm in such an "It's all got to go" mood.  It does feel good to let it go!

It's been a busy morning and I still have what feels like a million things I'd like to do before dinner.  I think I'll make a cup of coffee and see what else I can get accomplished.

Thank you for stopping by for a visit.  Have a great day.     Lisa

















3 comments:

  1. The little hexies are adorable!

    I'm with you about the news === only for me it's ALL the news. Our local newscasters think every story much end with a little commentary. The national news is Trump, Trump, Trump ---------so tired of the vitriol.

    I think I'll just shut off the TV until after November.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) You always make me smile. My 17 year old put into perspective the current political situation. I don't like to discuss politics, but it's a crazy world and scary to think of what might be in store. Everyone has become celebrity crazed rather than caring about anything with substance. Your wreath is nice -- I like the flowers. Did you glue them on? Good thing they make ironing board covers. I have to change mine often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy, you and I seem to have very similar thoughts on politics and celebrity craziness. Give me yarn, animals, and a nice walk anytime over that mess! I did glue the flowers. Usually I wire or tie them. I bought the wreath cheap. I prefer to be able to reuse it but this time I just wanted it finished and glueing was faster. I do feel guilty knowing it wasn't the most frugal choice.

      Delete