Tuesday, November 22, 2016

It's beginning to look a bit like Christmas

Thanksgiving hasn't even arrived and little bits of Christmas keep popping up in our home.  I'll blame it on this guy for an early bloom.  Ok, all the Christmas stuff out at Target probably didn't help.



Isn't it lovely?  My son planted it as just a sprig ten years ago.  It thrives best when neglected.  I find that is the best plan with my house plants.  When I give them too much love they seems to look sickly.  I also planted an amaryllis bulb.  The pot it came it was functional but not so pretty. Thank goodness I had yarn and could fix that problem.


Since I had my Christmas plants out I decided to get a few Christmas books to look at.  I enjoy looking at all the pretty decorations.  I do have to remind myself that those are staged pictures.  My house will NEVER look like those books and that's OK.  


I have my Christmas craft projects in Christmas bags.  The green bag is holding yarn for a gift I'm making for my niece.  She will get pot holders.  The pattern is from My Rose Valley.  It is the vintage pot holder pattern.  It is a pay for pattern and can be found on ravelry.  I am very pleased with the pattern, easy to follow and a very pretty final project.


The penguin bag holds Christmas colored yarns and a couple bead kits I picked up at the craft store in the dollar section.  I call this my bag of distractions.  Rather than work on current projects I can make Christmas coasters or snowflakes.


I've picked up few other early Christmas treats.  The tiny candle and snowflake candle holder is from Bath and Body Works and I can't resist holiday candy and cookies.  These will not be opened until December or at least until after Thanksgiving!   Well maybe I will only open the cookies today.  The plan is to start putting up the Christmas tree.  A cookie will go nicely with decorating and watching Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.  I'll bet I can rationalize opening the Kisses too!


Thank you for stopping by for a visit.  If you are celebrating Thanksgiving I wish you a Happy and Safe holiday.  To those not celebrating the holiday I wish you a Happy and Safe day.


5 comments:

  1. Wishing you a very happy Thanksgiving. It's looking very festive at your house.

    My Christmas cactus is getting a late start. The way it is progressing, it might be a Valentine's Day cactus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My house plants seem to do well too if I don't give them too much love and attention. My husband's mum has given us a Christmas cactus. It's flowering at the moment and she's assured me it doesn't need much care so fingers crossed I can also keep it alive for years just like yours :-) Btw, love the crochet embellishment on the plant pot.

    Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you have a lovely celebration with your family. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Lisa you are way ahead of the game. I have three cactus es and they are getting ready to bloom in about a week. One was from my parents home, it was near dead when I got it and this will be the second year it has bloomed, I am so happy it likes my house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Lisa ---

    I have tried sending you emails in response to your blog comments on my blog, but they keep bouncing back. :-( Sorry . . . I'm really not ignoring you.

    DK

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw those candle holders at Bath & Body Works the other day. Bought some with snowmen on them and a winter candle to give as Christmas gifts to a couple of friends. I'm having some mint green tea and mint chocolates right now. The chocolates are really good so think I'll go buy more of them to go along with the gift of candles. Your Christmas cactus is lovely -- amazing that you've had it for so long. I've never forced bulbs to grow indoors but would like to try. Everyone is always posting about them this time of year. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete