Sunday, March 27, 2016

Spring Break 2016

We've all been on Spring Break this past week.  It was a wonderful relaxing, crafting, college visits, family kind of week.  I'm trying to fight the tomorrow's Monday feeling.  It does help that today is Easter.  Typical for us it's a quiet family day.  I am not an avid cook but I do have a special meal planned.  It's an already tested and approved turkey meatball recipe with real mashed potatoes, no boxed ones for today.  I'm even going to attempt homemade brownies.  We'll see if Martha Stewart and I are compatible.

We had big plans for doing lots of yard work this week.  That didn't happen.  The start of our break was a cold one.  It's hard to believe last Saturday we had snow!  It wasn't much but still snow on the last day of winter.



The cold, snowy weather made it perfect for sitting and crafting.  I made my nest and that's exactly what I did.



The fireplace is on, Bru is snuggled beside me, and I'm working on granny squares.  A perfect way to spend a cold day.


I ordered a copy of Taproot magazine from SoulMama blog.  Okay I'll be honest, I ordered two of their magazines. Magazines are my vice.  If it's a crafty type of magazine then I'm over the moon. This is the first time I've bought a copy of Taproot.  It was wonderful.  I've throughly enjoyed the essays.  It is so beautifully put together.  I know I want to receive this with each new issue.  This best part about the latest issue #17 was the pattern for the Stanley the Rabbit.

This is Stanley by Kate Bruning, Greedy for Colour blog

The granny square blanket went on the back burner so I could make my very own Stanley.  I think mine will be Stanley's cousin Sting.  I used yarn I had in my stash.



He was fun to make.  The pattern includes a tiny backpack for him to wear.  I need to make that for mine.  A bunny in a striped shirt needs a backpack.

In spite of being sidetracked with Stanley/Sting I did work on the granny square blanket.  This will be the project I focus on for the week.  I can finally say I'm closer to the finish than the beginning.  I've moved my boomerang scarf to my take-a-long project.  It is easy to work on in waiting rooms or at the soccer field.


We made a day trip to Richmond to visit Virginia Commonwealth University for my daughter.  I enjoy crocheting on car rides.  It does help pass the time and I can still chat.



My new favorite project bag.  It was on sale at Michael's for $3.74!  I couldn't pass it up, besides magazines I have a bag and basket vice too!


Thank you for stopping by for a visit.  I hope you have a lovely Easter.  Lisa
 












5 comments:

  1. Well you whipped that little bunny right up. So very cute. And grannies are always therapeutic, I think. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sting is ADORABLE! You're right. He does need a little rucksack. He looks like the hiking sort of rabbit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved everything about this post. It sent me to Taproot and I hung out there for a while watching videos and reading a bit about the contributors. And I enjoyed seeing your creations - Sting, the bunny is adorable!!!! And now I want a bag like you found at Michaels. I frequent Michaels every week or two and I've never seen one so they may not be available here. :^/ Thanks for the intro to Taproot. I'd like to get my hands on an actual copy - from just south of central Indiana that means I may need to take a drive to the north side of Indy, or south to Bloomington to find one. Or maybe it's time to visit friends in Lafayette. ;^) I'll be on the lookout now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved everything about this post. It sent me to Taproot and I hung out there for a while watching videos and reading a bit about the contributors. And I enjoyed seeing your creations - Sting, the bunny is adorable!!!! And now I want a bag like you found at Michaels. I frequent Michaels every week or two and I've never seen one so they may not be available here. :^/ Thanks for the intro to Taproot. I'd like to get my hands on an actual copy - from just south of central Indiana that means I may need to take a drive to the north side of Indy, or south to Bloomington to find one. Or maybe it's time to visit friends in Lafayette. ;^) I'll be on the lookout now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Becki, I hope you are able to get a copy of Taproot. It really is lovely. There was the most interesting article on the end of a life in this issue. I know not the most happy subject. This article was beautifully written and thoughtful. I found it very moving. The whole magazine is packed full of good things. Don't worry I don't make a commission! I just enjoyed it. The tote bag is by the company Loops and Thread. The ones in our store were located by the yarn. I hope you can find one. It's always fun to have a cool project bag to go with a fun project. Have a wonderful day, lisa

    ReplyDelete