Tuesday, August 9, 2016

What took us to Portland and things I found interesting

My fourteen year old son likes to participate in Rubik's Cube competitions.  This is speed solving the cubes.  We planned our vacation around The National Rubik's Cube Competition in Portland, OR. There are all ages of people who compete and both genders, and no it's not all geeky types : )  It is fascinating to watch.  The competitors solve the cubes in mere seconds.  It takes me longer to scramble a cube than it does for most of them to solve it.  There are different sizes and shapes of cubes.  Some people even solve it blind folded.  My son didn't walk away the new champion but he did improve his personal time.  He was very happy with his scores and is already practicing to shave off another few seconds.  We all had a great time in all the cube chaos.



Darren all business before the timer starts.

We spent a few days in Seattle, WA before driving to Portland, OR.  This was my first trip to both cities and both are wonderful places to visit.  I love exploring new places and people watching.  I also enjoy looking for the unique around me.

I was thrilled to see Seattle has dragons.

The Wall-O-Gum at Pike Place Market. Nope, didn't add to it.


We went to Voodoo Doughnuts.  So worth the wait in line for these yummy treats.


A small carton of milk helped calm the sugar rush.


The sign says it all!


A Happy hippo in a toga


A lone protester expressing his view.


This caught my attention in a window.



It says, "Started from the bottom."  I guess you have to start somewhere.


There was a group protesting male circumcisions.  I don't even know what to say about this??? I am happy we live in a country that allows us the right for peaceful protests.

As with most of our trips we all took lots of photos.  I took pictures of trees, mountains, buildings, weird things, and more normal things, but the following picture is one of my favorites.


Summer 2016 Multnomah Falls, OR 








4 comments:

  1. That is so great your son does those competitions! Those are two cities I would love to visit one day too. Thanks for sharing with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great trip. Both cities I would like to visit one day as I have blog friends in both places I'd love to meet. I don't know that I've ever actually solved a rubik's cube. Bravo to your son! Love the lone protester. It's funny some of the things people protest. To each his own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my son would love to go to something like that. He can solve the puzzle fast :) He has three different cubes as well. Lovely photos and what a fun place to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have enlightened me, Lisa! I live near Portland, OR, and have driven through Seattle, but have not seen the sights/sites you saw except for Multnomah Falls which I love to visit and take guests there, too. I also had no idea there are Rubik's Cube events. Cheers for your son's progress!

    ReplyDelete