Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Resolutions, Un-resolutions, Daily practices, Routines

The beginning of 2016 is quickly approaching.  I've been thinking a lot about what it might bring and what I might like to do differently.  In the past I've had all the typical resolutions, spend less, lose weight, exercise everyday.  Those never lasted past two weeks.  What I've found is I do better with tiny baby steps of dealing with those issues.  The spend less is easier for me now.  I've been trying to eliminate excess clutter from our home.  I look at things very differently.  I ask myself "Do I really want to deal with this in a year?"  I am enjoying less.  As for weight loss, I cut out sodas and I eat smaller portions of candy.  I like sweets.  M&M's are my weakness.  I don't know if I'll ever completely cut them out of my diet.  Exercise hasn't been an issue for two years. We got a dog.  I have never in my life exercised more consistently.  He is a terrier mix and a bundle of energy.  Our daily walks are a must.  The fitbit helps.  I throughly enjoy this gadget.  It is very satisfying to make my 10,000 steps a day.

Bru the silly dog and my walking buddy.  My basket of crafty goodness waiting for me to decide what I shall work on next.


It's crafts and creativity I seem to be focusing my thoughts on for 2016.  I've thought about a daily practice.  I like the idea of having something I do everyday, something crafty.  I make our bed daily and brush my teeth and all that stuff.  Adding something creative daily could be fun.  I do craft.  I crochet, attempt to draw, and sew.  There are days I go without doing anything crafty.  I'm too tired or too busy, at least that's what I tell myself.  Could I do something continuously for any amount of time least of all a whole year?  What would I pick to do?  It does seems daunting, to do something everyday for the whole year.  I have a few more days to mull this over in my mind.

Christmas gifts I received.  I love crafty gifts.

What I use to help keep me organized.  The Charley Harper calendar goes on our fridge.  I adore his art work.  The little black moleskine is a tiny date book I write down appointment and such.  I know I could keep it on my iPhone.  I'm a notebook kind of girl.  The orange notebook is a kind of daily log/craft journal/general thoughts book.



I'll be looking at other blogs to see what resolutions, routines, and daily practices others might try this New Year.  Oh the possibilities!

4 comments:

  1. I keep my appointments on my phone, but I have this teeny-tiny worry in the back of my head that the electronic apocalypse will come and I will lose all my info. I really should have a paper back up! LOL

    No resolutions from me this year .....I never kept the ones in the past. I think I resolve to NOT resolve. Yeah ... THAT will work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a perfect resolution, no resolution! I might be able to keep that one. I'm still thinking if I'll make one or not.

      Delete
  2. Every year I attempt to keep a daily journal and every year I fail, but I'm gonna give it a go again, tomorrow, the first day of 2016. I also want to organize and get rid of clutter. That's definitely gonna have to be done in baby steps because it also involves cleaning and that's one of my least favorite things to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so enjoy journaling. There is something satisfying about a daily record. I know it's one reason I enjoy reading blogs. I hope you enjoy your daily writing or drawing. Have a very Happy New Year!

      Delete